From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split ELF Debug (defult or not?)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:08:12
1 On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 12:50:30PM -0500, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > I'm in favor of it enabled per default but I'd like to know what you
3 > think and why. (advantages of on/off by default etc..)
6 This should definitely be enabled by default, we dont need to enable
7 debugging information for this to be useful, just having the symbol
8 table available will make getting backtraces and diagnosing problems
9 many times easier with little extra diskspace requirements. Gentoo is
10 way behind on this feature, all the other major distributions have
11 caught on to how useful detatched debugging symbols can be.
12
13 If we dont enable this by default, I think the users who really need it
14 (ie, the ones who want us to track down a bug but are unable to provide
15 enough debugging information to do so) probably wont have the foresight
16 to turn it on.
17
18 This could also be a major boon for administrators imho, if a service
19 is dumping core unpredicatbly this feature and enabling coredumps would
20 be enough to start tracking down the problem, or at least identifying
21 the culprit.
25 taviso@××××××××××××.org | finger me for my pgp key.