From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] system-logger
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 09:33:44
1 mån 2001-12-03 klockan 14.05 skrev Vitaly Kushneriuk:
2 > I'm not sure we want Gentoo became a "do this and that and you'll get
3 > linux running" distro for dummies.
4 > SA using Gentoo SUPPOSED to know what is syslog and which one he likes.
5 > You realy should do some web research if you don't know which one to
6 > use. It will only help you to better understand your system.
7 > That's the main idea of installing Gentoo : to know your system and have
8 > only stuff you want. So basic installation should install only
9 > "THE MUST" components, leaving the rest to SA to decide.
10
11 What are you basing this "we don't"?
12 I think we should make Gentoo Linux a distribution for everyone. In the
13 beginning it will surely be for advanced users since we haven't got the
14 resources to fix all the things that non-advanced users will need (as a
15 more automatic, for those that wants it, installation process).
16
17 And as someone mentioned, not all persons agree on what is "THE MUST"
18 components. As a software developer I use Gentoo Linux because it's very
19 good for having your own versions of various libs without breaking the
20 package system. I'm very not-interested in which system logger I use as
21 long as it works. If I were a system administrator I would be more
22 insterested in the system logger.
23
24 Regards,
25 Mikael Hallendal
29 Mikael Hallendal
30 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
31 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden