From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, wysiwyg@×××××××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 13:08:44
1 El dom, 12-04-2015 a las 14:17 +0200, Yanestra escribió:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am long time user of Gentoo and I tinker with the idea of becoming
5 > Gentoo developer.
6 >
7 > I am a software developer by profession, but I am not quite sure if I
8 > should involve with Gentoo ebuild development.
9 >
10 > To be honest, I have not the slightest imagination what becoming a
11 > Gentoo developer might mean. Things seem to be abhorringly
12 > complicated.
13 >
14 > As far as I understand, there are developers, proxy developers, then
15 > there is something like Project Sunrise which I don't understand.
16 >
17 > There are apparently several different portage source repositories,
18 > basing on different software, and furthermore, there is layman. As far
19 > as I remember, portage is stored in cvs, where there is also git, and
20 > somewhere subversion seems to linger.
21 >
22 > And there is lots of documentation that appears to be outdated or
23 > strangely unattached to questions concerning organisation and overall
24 > structure.
25 >
26 > Can someone please tell me where to start becoming a developer? Do
27 > there exist something like quality guidelines for ebuilds?
28 >
29 > Why is there such a chaos?
30 >
31 > Thanks!
34 Hi!
35
36 I don't see such chaos :/
37
38 Did you take a look to
39 https://www.gentoo.org/get-involved/become-developer/
40 ?
41
42 Regarding the documentation needed to fulfill the quizzes, the quizzes
43 already contain "tips" to help people to find the documentation, also,
44 most of the useful information is at:
45 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/
46
47 Then, starting to read Devmanual would be a good start :)
48
49 Best regards