From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-dns/dnssec-root: Blind stable on arm, critical bug 667774
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 17:14:15
1 On 2018-10-11 17:48, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > This thread is missing a bunch of context...so I'll try to add it I guess.
3
4 All you need to know in this commit message, included linked bug report
5 for more details. :)
8 > I can't tell if the complaint is that:
9 >
10 > 1) Someone blind-stabled something on arm and it broke (doesn't build?)
11 > 2) The arm team failed to mark a package stable before a hard deadline
12 > (DNSSEC key rotation)
13 >
14 > I presume its the latter? Whats the impact? All DNS, or only DNSSEC
15 > validated entries?
16
17 It's the latter. It will affect anyone running an own DNS resolver like
18 net-dns/unbound on ARM with DNSSEC enabled (not default) using keys
19 provided by net-dns/dnssec-root package.
20
21 Of course anyone familiar with DNSSEC or unbound maybe knows how to
22 workaround:
23
24 - Enable auto-anchor update; However it is too late to do that know,
25 it will take ~30 days until the new learned key will become trusted.
26 Same applies to any *new* setup within last 30 days.
27
28 - Use unbound-anchor tool to force a manual immediate update.
29
30 - Disable DNSSEC validation.
31
32 But that's not the point here. The point was to get some attention that
33 again we have a lacking architecture (net-dns/dnssec-root is not the
34 only package where ARM arch team is lacking behind) which affects anyone
35 "trusting" somehow in STABLE keywords.
36
37 If everyone is using ~ARCH and don't care about STABLE keywords, well,
38 we could save a bunch of time, energy...
42 Regards,
43 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
44 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5