From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Does the scm ebuild masking policy make sense for git?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 17:45:34
1 Dnia 2014-09-09, o godz. 17:41:27
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > Samuli Suominen:
5 > >
6 > > On 08/09/14 06:47, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
7 > >> On 09/07/2014 09:03 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
8 > >>> Right now the general policy is that we don't allow unmasked (hard or
9 > >>> via keywords) ebuilds in the tree if they use an scm to fetch their
10 > >>> sources. There are a bunch of reasons for this, and for the most part
11 > >>> they make sense.
12 > >> Hard masking is a relic from the days that we didn't just have empty
13 > >> keywords, most of the VCS ebuilds in the tree just have empty keywords
14 > >> now and are not actually hard masked. I'd say if you set
15 > >> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="**" then you get to keep the pieces.
16 > >
17 > > Hard masking is a relic? That's nonsense
18 > >
19 > > It just always has been a decision left for the developer him or herself
20 > > if the masking needs a message or not (package.mask being the way
21 > > to mask package with a message, empty KEYWORDS the
22 > > way you don't need a message)
25 > Empty KEYWORDS is actually sort of a hack and basically says "doesn't
26 > work on any architecture" which is certainly always wrong and hides
27 > information from the user.
28
29 You are incorrect. Lack of keyword means 'hell if I know whether it
30 works', which is pretty much the problem with live builds.
31
32 'Does not work' is represented by minus-keyword, e.g.
33 KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~x86 -*".
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny