From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Does the scm ebuild masking policy make sense for git?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 17:58:32
1 Micha³ Górny:
2 > Dnia 2014-09-09, o godz. 17:41:27
3 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> napisa³(a):
4 >
5 >> Samuli Suominen:
6 >>>
7 >>> On 08/09/14 06:47, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
8 >>>> On 09/07/2014 09:03 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
9 >>>>> Right now the general policy is that we don't allow unmasked (hard or
10 >>>>> via keywords) ebuilds in the tree if they use an scm to fetch their
11 >>>>> sources. There are a bunch of reasons for this, and for the most part
12 >>>>> they make sense.
13 >>>> Hard masking is a relic from the days that we didn't just have empty
14 >>>> keywords, most of the VCS ebuilds in the tree just have empty keywords
15 >>>> now and are not actually hard masked. I'd say if you set
16 >>>> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="**" then you get to keep the pieces.
17 >>>
18 >>> Hard masking is a relic? That's nonsense
19 >>>
20 >>> It just always has been a decision left for the developer him or herself
21 >>> if the masking needs a message or not (package.mask being the way
22 >>> to mask package with a message, empty KEYWORDS the
23 >>> way you don't need a message)
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >> Empty KEYWORDS is actually sort of a hack and basically says "doesn't
27 >> work on any architecture" which is certainly always wrong and hides
28 >> information from the user.
29 >
30 > You are incorrect. Lack of keyword means 'hell if I know whether it
31 > works', which is pretty much the problem with live builds.
32 >
33 > 'Does not work' is represented by minus-keyword, e.g.
34 > KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~x86 -*".
37 Saying "I don't know any architecture it works on" is also certainly
38 almost wrong, unless the developer pushes ebuilds to the tree he has
39 never even tested on his own machine (or didn't even ask upstream which
40 architectures are supported).