From: Tim Cera <timcera@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync speed and space taken
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:52:32
1 Andrew Fant <andrew.fant <at> tufts.edu> writes:
2 > I'm not sure that I would call that a cool benefit. It seems to come close
3 > to an egregious violation of privacy. I know that there is no promise of
4 > confidentiality in the use of the portage rsync servers, but to actively
5 > and publicly start collecting data about who is using what seems to only
6 > invite more paranoia.
7
8 Let's say that limiting the rsync to installed packages has a side-effect.
9 Whether it is a benefit or not depends on many factors.
10
11 I would say that the collection of installed package statistics is NOT a reason
12 to rsync on installed packages only. The reasons to rsync on installed packages
13 is to reduce the load on the rsync servers and to make the rsync faster (rsync
14 speed was a definite problem on my old laptop). When I was using rsync to run
15 against installed packages, I was bringing down about 15,000 files. Note that
16 the total size of the portage tree is irrelevant.
17
18 I took for granted that the ONLY statistics that would be collected would be
19 statistics on the entire community.
20 For example:
21 x% of gentoo users install metalog
22 y% of gentoo users install syslogd
23 z% of gentoo users install syslog-ng
24 ...etc.
25
26 I also imagined that, like in the patch I submitted, the rsync against installed
27 packages was an option. The default would be a full rsync. Just like
28 gentoo-stats is an option (in fact gentoo-stats sends a bunch of data, and you
29 can choose anonymity if you wish).
30
31 take care
32 tim