From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Local USE defaults
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:34:39
1 On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:08:51AM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > | Kind of curious about people's opinion on the IUSE default use flag
4 > | thing, initial syntax was (using the above example)
5 > | IUSE="+client server"
6 > | with client defaulting to on unless the user's config disables it-
7 > | note, strictly enabling from IUSE, no auto-negation.
8 > | I forgot to add this, but it's a 10 line change if people still view
9 > | it as worthwhile.
10 >
11 > Yes, very. Saves us from hacky local USE flag handling by naming them
12 > no* or adding them to profiles.
13 Which then raises the question of whether or not -* in a users USE
14 should disable it.
15 I say no, since -* is mainly for killing off auto-use crap and
16 profiles.
17
18 Note that explicitly disabling a flag (-client fex) would disable the
19 default use there; question is whether or not some form of -* should
20 exist for default IUSE; the existing -* is profile/autouse specific,
21 and sholdn't be reused for disabling default IUSE imo.
22 yay/nay?
23 ~harring