From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Output / End User Experience
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 14:57:55
1 On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> It also seems like the current portage output is giving the user some
4 >> contradictory and counterproductive advice. It seems like there are
5 >> really only two possible choices
6 >> 1. The user could choose to not install chromium.
7 >> 2. The user could enable icu for qt-webkit.
8 >
9 > Do you get the same suggestions from portage if you attempt emerge
10 > kde and chromium one at a time?
11
12 I'll test it out on a fresh install, but that will take a number of
13 hours (a total of 694 packages between them, which will take a while
14 even on 4 cores, and warm up the office as well...). If I try to
15 start out with chromium first the initial suggestion is to enable icu
16 on libxml2, and if I try to start out with kde-meta the initial
17 suggestion is to enable minizip on zlib (unrelated to this whole
18 issue).
19
20 I don't have a copy of the message but when I got the update to
21 qt-webkit the message was fairly cryptic when it added the !icu?
22 dependency on libxml2. If anything I think it was less clear.
23
24 Let me give that upgrade a try both ways, but it might take a few days
25 to have all the results of that.
26
27 Rich