From: kang <kang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Update of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:07:29
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2
3 >Some usability issues:
4 >The top right textlinks are too dark and quite small. They aren't easily
5 >readable and don't present themselves as clickable items (especially
6 >with the dotted line below them they look like "random" text)
9 Hm, the "don't present themselves as clickable" is sort of applicable to
10 many other links IHMO. Personally I'm more than used to it as a
11 technical guy, I find them as link without even thinking. For non
12 technical people, I know that they hardly know hyperlinks used to be
13 underlined and try to move the mouse wherever they feel like to click.
14 (especially my mum, but psst ;p)
15 When I first seen them they were green and quite visible. I see that now
16 they're purple on purple which is hard to read. I don't know the reason
17 though. btw: especially the www.gentoo.org catches the eye and tells
18 immediately that thoses are links. Well, that's how I see it.
19
20 >- The bottom boxes are uneven in size, it looks a bit strange. Also i
21 >still wonder about this whole concept, as its not the first place you
22 >look for links. I'll take an example:
25 >I'd have expected those in a nice collapsed menu on top with annoying
26 >mouseOver expansion
27 >(I hate that because if you move your mouse across the page you have one
28 >expanded menu hiding whatever is below)
29 >Like this they are "out of sight" and on smaller screens not directly
30 >visible without scrolling.
33 >The "manage / customize / optimize / interact" boxes on the startpage
34 >don't give any useful information (all those links are available in the
35 >"unreadable" text above and in the nice boxes at the bottom. Also their
36 >format looks like GoogleAds to me, so I mentally filed them away as
37 >"more ads".
38 >As they don't appear anywhere else on the website I'd just remove them.
42 This whole thing give me some idea. Now, it changes the design a bit and probably no one will listen, but, what if thoses purple boxes where to be replaced by the bottom link stuff ;)
43 The bottom links which are hard to see or notice (cause they're at the bottom obviously) and never scales with the page size, could replace thoses boxes which are nice design-wise but useless content-wise. (and just "a bit usefull" marketing wise, but is that really so important)
44
45 kang
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list