From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Update of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:21:37
1 On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 12:14 +0000, kang wrote:
2 > Now people can also use NCSA Mosaic. It's valid as long as you can run
3 > it. But a browser with vulns, unsupported by the vendor, with a broken
4 > CSS, I think you do not have to support it. Well of course, if you like
5 > it just do it ;)
6 Hmmm.. I think we should "only" support standard HTML/XHTML/CSS.
7 No need to add "fixes" for known-broken browsers I guess.
8 (And no "old cruft" where avoidable)
9
10 > Oh btw, *great* progress on the design.
11 Yess, it's getting somewhere.
12
13 > - The bottom boxes are uneven in size, it looks a bit strange. Also i
14 > still wonder about this whole concept, as its not the first place you
15 > look for links. I'll take an example:
16 I'd have expected those in a nice collapsed menu on top with annoying
17 mouseOver expansion
18 (I hate that because if you move your mouse across the page you have one
19 expanded menu hiding whatever is below)
20 Like this they are "out of sight" and on smaller screens not directly
21 visible without scrolling.
22
23 > http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml
24 > I am in 1024x768 and I don't see the boxes if I don't scroll. I don't
25 > think you acn reduce every page so that you see them without scrolling.
26 > Unfortunately I dont see any good solution.
27 The common solution is a menu on the left side, but then it gets tricky
28 with expanding/collapsing and keeping the whole menu visible.
29 > Maybe it'll stay this way. I
30 > would put more than 2 news items on the front page then, even if it also
31 > hides the boxes a bit on 800x600 or 1024, because it doesnt give much
32 > info to have 2 items per news page ;)
33 I guess that's part of it being a prototype and all that ;-)
34
35 Some usability issues:
36 The top right textlinks are too dark and quite small. They aren't easily
37 readable and don't present themselves as clickable items (especially
38 with the dotted line below them they look like "random" text)
39
40 The "manage / customize / optimize / interact" boxes on the startpage
41 don't give any useful information (all those links are available in the
42 "unreadable" text above and in the nice boxes at the bottom. Also their
43 format looks like GoogleAds to me, so I mentally filed them away as
44 "more ads".
45 As they don't appear anywhere else on the website I'd just remove them.
46
47 Another (minor) inconsistency is that on the startpage the date stamp on
48 the left shifts the text to the right, but all other subpages have the
49 text left-aligned. That is unexpected, I'd like all pages to behave
50 consistently.
51 This also includes the "infinity" logo that's only in one place (why
52 have it at all then?)
53
54 Apart from that I like the spartan look.
55 Keep up the good work!
56
57 Patrick
60 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move