From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed solution to arches/stable problem
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:33:24
1 Carsten Lohrke wrote: [Tue Jun 22 2004, 12:47:35PM EDT]
2 > On Tuesday 22 June 2004 18:25, Aron Griffis wrote:
3 > > I think it's okay if the maintainer's arch jumps around. To do
4 > > otherwise would be an unnecessary restriction.
5 >
6 > In what sense?
7
8 Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant it would be an unnecessary
9 restriction to require that the maintainer's arch stays the same
10 between ebuild revisions. It happens all the time that a developer
11 changes architectures. For example we seem to have a lot of
12 developers that are changing from x86 to amd64 as their next machines.
13
14 > I can't see any difference in rearranged keywords to a special
15 > prefix or extra keyword. Neither in internal representation nor in
16 > terms of implementing this in ekeyword. I dislike order dependent
17 > configurations much. It's not that visible, as the other two
18 > options.
19
20 I agree, there isn't much of a difference. Here are the differences:
21
22 extra keyword: refrains from marking the maintainer's arch, but
23 clearly marks when an ebuild is considered stable by the
24 package maintainer. At this point I'm thinking that *knowing*
25 the maintainer's arch is nice information to have, and we get
26 it for free with the other possibilities. The "extra keyword"
27 method requires a gradual transition throughout the tree. I
28 think this is the least desirable solution.
29
30 special prefix: marks the maintainer's arch clearly, requires a
31 gradual transition throughout the tree.
32
33 first keyword: not as visible as special prefix. However doesn't
34 require a gradual transition for most packages, since in most
35 cases the first keyword is already the maintainer's arch.
36 This is true simply because the current keywords order
37 indicates the order in which the keywords were added. (This
38 was standardized by drobbins sometime last year... I will try
39 to dig up the email if you are interested)
40
41 IMHO it would be easiest to use the first keyword method, with the
42 option of transitioning to a special prefix eventually. It would be
43 harder to transition in the other direction, so I would prefer to
44 start with the first keyword method.
45
46 Note regarding order dependence: I'm not a big fan of order dependence
47 myself. I'm pushing for special significance on the first keyword in
48 the list purely because (1) we already have it, (2) the order of
49 keywords is already significant, (3) it's very non-invasive, (4) we
50 can change again later if it doesn't work out.
51
52 Regards,
53 Aron
56 Aron Griffis