From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The new Portage Job System
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 07:58:02
1 On Saturday 11 August 2001 21:11, you wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 12:05:01PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > In accordance with drobbins' wishes, the discussion of the new Portage
6 > > job system moves to gentoo-dev. This is a quick summary of the discussion
7 > > on #gentoo yesterday.
8 >
9 > IMHO, this is overkill. We just need a way of executing certain jobs once;
10 > specifically, jobs that update the /var/db/pkg structure so that moved
11 > packages aren't remerged. I don't want to create something huge to do
12 > this.
13
14 drobbins, I think you're right. An important point is that we need to
15 complete the kde/gnome move quickly. I have already copied the kde packages
16 to their new locations, but kept the copies in the old olocations also. The
17 system is therefore in a limbo.
18
19 Emerging all of kde isn't a problem, but since I changed several ebuilds to
20 depend on the new locations, emerging them would remerge kde.
21
22 Worse, after remerging kde, /var/db/pkg would have e.g. both kde-apps/foo and
23 kde-base/foo registered. Then, when my script was run on such a database,
24 there would be problems and I'd have to make special provisions in the script.
25
26 The point is that we need either to complete the move quickly - even if it
27 means not using jobs, or not iplementing jobs fully - or to backtrack and
28 return kde to its original state until we can get the job system operational.
34 Dan Armak
35 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
36 Matan, Israel