From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-2 - Let's get it started
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:14:50
1 On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 06:55:45 -0400
2 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:02:48 +0200
5 > > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
6 > >>> Had you bothered to write even trivial test suites for EAPI 1,
7 > >>> you'd've found at least one major bug straight away.
8 > >> http://www.pkgcore.org/trac/pkgcore/newticket
9 > >
10 > > http://www.pkgcore.org/trac/pkgcore/ticket/197
11 >
12 > Uh - what is the goal on this list - to make Gentoo a better
13 > distribution or to point out that the package manager that I maintain
14 > is better than the package manager that you maintain?
15
16 The point is to make pkgcore a better package manager by getting the
17 developers to do some basic testing. We're not talking some obscure,
18 weird bug here. We're talking a really obvious, major screwup that a
19 couple of quick unit tests would catch straight away.
20
21 > And if you don't want to be part of the solution, then why are you
22 > wasting your time here? I'm a big fan of PMS/paludis/etc in general,
23 > but why waste your time contributing these things to Gentoo if you
24 > don't want Gentoo to succeed? If you do want Gentoo to succeed, then
25 > why not give others a helping hand when it costs you virtually
26 > nothing to do so?
27
28 Give a man a bug report and he fixes one bug. Persuade a man to write
29 basic unit tests and he fixes a whole load of bugs and catches a whole
30 load more in the future before shipping them out. And then you give him
31 bug reports for what that doesn't catch.
32
33 The problem is, the pkgcore people are being blatantly irresponsible by
34 sticking a package manager that claims to support EAPI 1 in the tree
35 without actually supporting EAPI 1. In particular, it means we'll have
36 to decide whether to avoid using some EAPI 1 features just to avoid
37 breaking people using older pkgcore versions.
40 Ciaran McCreesh