From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new glep draft: Portage as a secondary package manager
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 07:08:15
1 On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 02:39:20AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > 'tweak' is too mild a term... As far as I can tell I'm the only person
3 > who's bothered to actually even try to look at this from an ebuild
4 > perspective
5
6 Surprisingly, not quite true (was fun stating it I'm sure though).
9 > -- not pretty... For every package in the tree that has a
10 > sed -e 's,/usr/local,/usr,g' there's another that would need a sed
11 > turning /usr into whatever prefix ends up as
12
13 Dodging the valid sed criticism, no, a secondary sed would be
14 something of a hack. Substitue the prefix var instead.
15
16 Re: changes, yes, things will need changes, and again, as stated
17 thrice, those who want the changes are the ones who are stuck doing
18 said changes. In other words, the actual work required to
19 cleanse/correct the tree isn't getting dumped on ebuild devs as a whole.
20
21 The change in conventions for writing ebuilds _is_ falling on
22 ebuild dev's heads.
23
24 Remember that in the grand scheme of things, the required changes to how
25 ebuilds are written is a helluva lot more important then basically
26 retrofitting existing ebuilds.
27
28 In other words, you would be wise to snipe the suggested changes to
29 writing an ebuild, rather then dragging out example after example of
30 possible required changes to the tree. The examples you're dragging
31 out basically come down to making sure the ebuild is 'correct' for the
32 package. I can just as quickly drag out example after example of
33 potential mistakes ebuild devs can make _now_.
34
35 Basically, if the only thing you can point out as a con against this
36 glep is changes -the interested parties would have to make to the
37 existing tree-, please summarize rather then dragging this out over a
38 week. If you're after arguing that the potential complexity involved
39 in mapping an ebuild into a nonstandard prefix is too large, summarize
40 and state that, etc.
41
42 Getting a bit tired of repeatedly stating (whether irc or ml) "yes,
43 the existing tree would require modification, and yes, you don't have
44 to do the heavy lifting, those interested do".
45
46 If this portion of the discussion is to continue, please split
47 it off into a seperate thread, thus far it's hijacked the discussion
48 and is more centered on crappy ebuilds/packages, rather then potential
49 changes. Not saying it's not a valid point, just saying "yeah, you
50 got your point across, now can we move on to the other portions that
51 need discussion?". Remember that gleps go through several rounds of
52 discussion, I'd like to see this round keep moving rather then get
53 stuck in the mud.
56 > | Meanwhile, iirc from the last irc conversation on this, either you or
57 > | dsd brought up the point of needing to be able to query if (using vim
58 > | as an example) vim-core was $home, rather then usr|$PREFIX. Care to
59 > | elaborate a bit? Mainly wondering if to encompass your requests, it
60 > | might require extra metadata from the depend standpoint.
61 >
62 > Ok, say we use ICANINSTALLTO (name!). Then if we have "prefix" as the
63 > destination, there's no problem, because we know that all our deps are
64 > installed in ${PREFIX} as well. However, if we're installing to "home",
65 > we need to know where our deps are -- for "home" installs I'm presuming
66 > we don't force a full dep tree in "home" (unlike for "prefix"). This
67 > *could* still be done with ${PREFIX} I guess? Or to avoid confusing
68 > things, ${DEPS_PREFIX}? Not really sure...
69
70 Could you break it down to "if I'm going into home, I need xyz at the
71 home level rather then global/usr" ?
72 as in something along the lines of
73 if dep_installation_target some-vim-dep home; then
74 # do the home equiv
75 else
76 # do the global equiv
77 fi;