From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new glep draft: Portage as a secondary package manager
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 14:45:46
1 On Sat, 7 May 2005 02:08:17 -0500 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Re: changes, yes, things will need changes, and again, as stated
4 | thrice, those who want the changes are the ones who are stuck doing
5 | said changes. In other words, the actual work required to
6 | cleanse/correct the tree isn't getting dumped on ebuild devs as a
7 | whole.
8
9 Isn't going to work. A lot of these changes need package-specific
10 knowledge that most people just don't have.
11
12 | In other words, you would be wise to snipe the suggested changes to
13 | writing an ebuild, rather then dragging out example after example of
14 | possible required changes to the tree. The examples you're dragging
15 | out basically come down to making sure the ebuild is 'correct' for the
16 | package. I can just as quickly drag out example after example of
17 | potential mistakes ebuild devs can make _now_.
18
19 No, they're a demonstration of why the GLEP in its current form is
20 inadequate. I'll carry on pulling up further examples until you realise
21 that it's not just a minor issue, it's a huge problem that needs a big
22 change to the GLEP.
23
24 | Remember that gleps go through several rounds of
25 | discussion, I'd like to see this round keep moving rather then get
26 | stuck in the mud.
27
28 The reason that this thing was written up as a GLEP was because the
29 author was trying to bypass the discussion and get around having to fix
30 various flaws that had been pointed out previously.
31
32 | Could you break it down to "if I'm going into home, I need xyz at the
33 | home level rather then global/usr" ?
34
35 Hrm. Being able to say "I need xyz installed globally, and abc installed
36 either globally or at home level" would work if and only if there was a
37 way of finding out where abc and xyz had been installed.
40 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
41 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
42 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm