From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new glep draft: Portage as a secondary package manager
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 15:47:14
1 On Saturday 07 May 2005 23:49, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Hrm. Being able to say "I need xyz installed globally, and abc installed
3 > either globally or at home level" would work if and only if there was a
4 > way of finding out where abc and xyz had been installed.
5
6 The "being able to say" is the harder part. ;)
7
8 Having a package find out where it's dependencies are is quite simple.
9 Enhancing portageq to support it will be one of the smaller tasks in all of
10 this. Wrapping that with a dev-friendly bash function will be even easier.
11
12 So to summarise prefixed install support thus far:
13
14 1 Portage needs to be enhanced with a new SUPPORTS so that packages can
15 specify that they can install into a non-standard location.
16 2 Portage needs to be enhanced with new ebuild support functions for
17 detecting the location of a dependency.
18 3 Portage needs to supply PREFIX and AFFIX variables to those ebuilds that
19 support non-standard location installs, which specify executable and
20 configuration/data locations respectively.
21 4 Portage needs a base PREFIX and AFFIX to install to by default.
22 5 Packages need to be updated for support of these feature.
23 - Packages that have a standard location of / rather than /usr install into
24 AFFIX rather than PREFIX.
25
26 And to add my own little pieces of wisdom:
27
28 6 Portage must disallow the creation of binary packages where all
29 dependencies are not in the same PREFIX.
30 7 Portage needs to be able to configured with one-way dependency allowance
31 between installed package databases. For example, ~ installed packages are
32 allowed to depend on / installed packages.
33
34 I was planning to summarize home install support here, but your statement
35 above has confused me a little. Is there any case where a package *must* have
36 a dependency installed globally? If so, I can't see it.
37
38 So unless it is shown otherwise, home install support requires:
39
40 8 SUPPORTS needs to be enhanced with another indicator for packages to
41 specify that they can do home installs.
42 9 Emerge needs to be enhanced to allow the user to specify if they want a
43 home install or a prefixed install of a package.
44 10 Portage needs to tell the ebuild whether it should perform a home install
45 or a prefixed install.
46
47 Does that about cover it?
48