From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new glep draft: Portage as a secondary package manager
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 08:33:27
1 On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 12:47:05AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > 6 Portage must disallow the creation of binary packages where all
3 > dependencies are not in the same PREFIX.
4 First level, second level... ?
5 I'd rather see the deps/prefix data slapped into the binpkg, and
6 tracked alongside, and verified prior to installation.
7 Reason being- say a package links against libssl, and
8 is built to be installed into a user's directory (irssi for example).
9 A restriction of the sort you're specifying would block irssi from
10 ever being binpkg'd for home installation.
11
12 > I was planning to summarize home install support here,
13 Clarify please :)
14 Offhand, I don't see why a bin repo for a home target isn't viable,
15 along with a vdb repo in the same location. It's a bit trickier, but
16 I suspect it might be a bit more flexible in the long run.
17 ~brian
18 --
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list