From: Brian Jones <briankjones99@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] boot says I didn't compile DEVFS support
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:01:14
1 That did it! I didn't go into the code level options
2 section! UGH.
3
4 Thanks a million. I'm sure I can probably get it now.
5 --- Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o> wrote:
6 > On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 19:09, Brian Jones wrote:
7 > > Hi all.
8 > > I know this makes me look like a total moron.
9 > Please
10 > > excuse my ignorance (I'm doing this in the hopes
11 > of
12 > > becoming less ignorant- guess it's not really
13 > working)
14 > > :)
15 > >
16 > > I'm using rc6-r14 on a very simple hardware
17 > platform
18 > > (400 Celeron, Winbond, intel, ATI, all stuff
19 > that's
20 > > been supported in linux for 3-4 years now) :)
21 > >
22 > > I followed all of the steps in the install guide,
23 > and
24 > > everything worked pretty much as I had hoped. The
25 > > little glitches that came up I was able to come up
26 > > with solutions for, and everything acted pretty
27 > normal
28 > > after (the big one was that I didn't have the
29 > 'passwd'
30 > > or 'grub' commands, so I reran emerge system and
31 > > updated all my stuff).
32 > >
33 > > I compiled a new kernel using menuconfig, but
34 > didn't
35 > > see any options that explicitly said 'Device File
36 > > System'. I did some reading about devfs to see if
37 > it
38 > > was used for anything the kernel I made didn't
39 > > support. It's used for UNIX PTYs, but I have that
40 > in
41 > > there. I had everything enabled and BUILT IN that
42 > I
43 > > could figure out belonged there. I also compiled
44 > the
45 > > Virtual File System stuff in there. Can anyone
46 > tell
47 > > direct me to the menu entry I missed? I'm using
48 > > kernel 2.4.16, which I got using the emerge kernel
49 > > sources command (don't remember it verbatim off
50 > the
51 > > top of my head).
54 > You have to enable experimental code, then it will
55 > be under
56 > filesystems.
57 >
58 > > My grub install went well and the grub screen came
59 > up
60 > > fine. My menu.lst just has the basic timeout,
61 > root=
62 > > and stuff. After the first boot, I added
63 > > 'gentoo=nodevfs' to it - which I must admit I
64 > don't
65 > > understand - what is the label 'gentoo' a pointer
66 > to?
69 > It is a Gentoo Linux option that gets passed to the
70 > init
71 > stuff.
72 >
73 > The thing is, Gentoo Linux is designed to work best
74 > with
75 > devfs, thus you should really consider using it.
76 > Now,
77 > Gentoo should boot without DEVFS, but only display a
78 > annoying
79 > message. To get rid of this, pass "gentoo=nodevfs"
80 > as kernel
81 > parameter.
82 >
83 > If it is not booting without DEVFS (ie you get
84 > a message about not being able to mount root), let
85 > us know,
86 > as the regular devices in /dev may not be created
87 > during
88 > bootstrap.
91 > > Anyway, I think I got everything going really
92 > well,
93 > > but unfortunately I can't boot properly so I'm
94 > > wondering if there's something I missed, and how
95 > this
96 > > might be fixed.
97 > >
98 > > I appreciate any pointers in the right direction.
99 > > Thanks,
100 > > njcajun
103 > > __________________________________________________
104 > > Do You Yahoo!?
105 > > Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
106 > > http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
107 > > _______________________________________________
108 > > gentoo-dev mailing list
109 > > gentoo-dev@g.o
112 > --
113 >
114 > Martin Schlemmer
115 > Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
116 > Cape Town, South Africa
120 > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature
125 Do You Yahoo!?
126 Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
127 http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/