From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] boot says I didn't compile DEVFS support
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:53:25
1 On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 19:09, Brian Jones wrote:
2 > Hi all.
3 > I know this makes me look like a total moron. Please
4 > excuse my ignorance (I'm doing this in the hopes of
5 > becoming less ignorant- guess it's not really working)
6 > :)
7 >
8 > I'm using rc6-r14 on a very simple hardware platform
9 > (400 Celeron, Winbond, intel, ATI, all stuff that's
10 > been supported in linux for 3-4 years now) :)
11 >
12 > I followed all of the steps in the install guide, and
13 > everything worked pretty much as I had hoped. The
14 > little glitches that came up I was able to come up
15 > with solutions for, and everything acted pretty normal
16 > after (the big one was that I didn't have the 'passwd'
17 > or 'grub' commands, so I reran emerge system and
18 > updated all my stuff).
19 >
20 > I compiled a new kernel using menuconfig, but didn't
21 > see any options that explicitly said 'Device File
22 > System'. I did some reading about devfs to see if it
23 > was used for anything the kernel I made didn't
24 > support. It's used for UNIX PTYs, but I have that in
25 > there. I had everything enabled and BUILT IN that I
26 > could figure out belonged there. I also compiled the
27 > Virtual File System stuff in there. Can anyone tell
28 > direct me to the menu entry I missed? I'm using
29 > kernel 2.4.16, which I got using the emerge kernel
30 > sources command (don't remember it verbatim off the
31 > top of my head).
34 You have to enable experimental code, then it will be under
35 filesystems.
36
37 > My grub install went well and the grub screen came up
38 > fine. My menu.lst just has the basic timeout, root=
39 > and stuff. After the first boot, I added
40 > 'gentoo=nodevfs' to it - which I must admit I don't
41 > understand - what is the label 'gentoo' a pointer to?
44 It is a Gentoo Linux option that gets passed to the init
45 stuff.
46
47 The thing is, Gentoo Linux is designed to work best with
48 devfs, thus you should really consider using it. Now,
49 Gentoo should boot without DEVFS, but only display a annoying
50 message. To get rid of this, pass "gentoo=nodevfs" as kernel
51 parameter.
52
53 If it is not booting without DEVFS (ie you get
54 a message about not being able to mount root), let us know,
55 as the regular devices in /dev may not be created during
56 bootstrap.
59 > Anyway, I think I got everything going really well,
60 > but unfortunately I can't boot properly so I'm
61 > wondering if there's something I missed, and how this
62 > might be fixed.
63 >
64 > I appreciate any pointers in the right direction.
65 > Thanks,
66 > njcajun
70 > Do You Yahoo!?
71 > Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
72 > http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
74 > gentoo-dev mailing list
75 > gentoo-dev@g.o