From: Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:49:11
1 On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 05:21 -0700, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > The last time this came up, a few months ago, mentioned in somebodies
3 > blog, I made an effort to look at both bmpx and audacious.
4 >
5 > Both used significantly more CPU, and one of them was completely
6 > unusable with the size of my playlist (~24000 items, mostly legal MP3) -
7 > it sucked up ~4Gb of memory, and then the OOM killer smote it.
8 >
9 The audio player i use these days is banshee and sometimes muine. Yes
10 that's true they eat too much mem compared to xmms.
11
12 > The plugins I used are xosd, songchange, realrandom - none of which
13 > seemed to be trivially recompilable when I looked, but I do see that at
14 > least one other distro has managed to port xosd.
15 >
16 We can port it too.
17 > One thing that XMMS does have going for it compared to the newer GTK2
18 > variants is that it's much more light-weight. I'm not sure if it's just
19 > because of the usage of GTK2 instead of GTK1, but the added size of the
20 > alternatives isn't suitable for the moment.
21 >
22 Yes but you need to remember that GTK1 is not supported by upstream
23 anymore.
24 > As noted by other folk, I have no objections with the default changing
25 > away from xmms, to discourage new users, but don't take XMMS away from
26 > those of us already using it without any issues.
27 >
28 Yes discourage new users is the way and move the current users to
29 another player is necessary too. We can move xmms for overlays with no
30 support from us or maybe anyone else take it apart from sound herd.
31 --
32 Gentoo Linux Developer
33 http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list