From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:35:41
1 On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 09:30:20PM +0100, Luis Medinas wrote:
2 > I'm the current maintainer for xmms and all plugins. As you all know
3 > xmms is writen over GTK+-1. This toolkit is not supported by the
4 > upstream like xmms. We have lot's of dead upstream plugins on portage
5 > and this is a pain to maintain like xmms itself. You might want to look
6 > at our patchset that contains fixes for 'millions' of bugs.
7 > We have a few alternatives like audacious, gstreamer based players and
8 > xine-lib players (did i forget anything ?). The problem is that this
9 > players doesn't support a few audiotypes or plugins that xmms currently
10 > does.
11 > So i'm asking for a solution either remove xmms, move the maintainer for
12 > anyone who volunteer or the sound herd.
13 > My plans now is replace xmms for xmms2 (that i would like to take the
14 > maintainership). Opinions ? Ideas ?
15 The last time this came up, a few months ago, mentioned in somebodies
16 blog, I made an effort to look at both bmpx and audacious.
17
18 Both used significantly more CPU, and one of them was completely
19 unusable with the size of my playlist (~24000 items, mostly legal MP3) -
20 it sucked up ~4Gb of memory, and then the OOM killer smote it.
21
22 The plugins I used are xosd, songchange, realrandom - none of which
23 seemed to be trivially recompilable when I looked, but I do see that at
24 least one other distro has managed to port xosd.
25
26 One thing that XMMS does have going for it compared to the newer GTK2
27 variants is that it's much more light-weight. I'm not sure if it's just
28 because of the usage of GTK2 instead of GTK1, but the added size of the
29 alternatives isn't suitable for the moment.
30
31 As noted by other folk, I have no objections with the default changing
32 away from xmms, to discourage new users, but don't take XMMS away from
33 those of us already using it without any issues.
36 Robin Hugh Johnson
37 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
38 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85