From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 22:54:52
1 On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
2 > What I always wondered is why we have ebuilds for every kind of binary
3 > except for kernels, yet we build official kernels with official
4 > configs for our livecds.
5
6 Yup. I don't think the solution is to have a USE flag for every
7 kernel parameter, but having a standardized kernel with a few flags
8 probably isn't a bad idea.
9
10 However, since I'm sure we want to fully support user-built kernels I
11 don't really see that solving the config check problem. You can't
12 just depend on the standardized kernel, unless you use a virtual and
13 make gentoo-sources something that fulfills it (which means users
14 going that route just don't get the check). That still isn't a bad
15 solution - those who want the hand-holding version can just use the
16 canned kernel.
17
18 I would still suggest that if we went that route the kernel needs more
19 modules than present on our install CDs. Nothing wrong with the
20 install CDs per-se - they're focused on doing installation, not
21 interfacing with webcams, IR remotes, or radios.
22
23 Rich