From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LFS QA warnings coming soon to a build near you
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 14:15:37
1 On 01 Jun 2015 09:51, Christopher Head wrote:
2 > On May 31, 2015 7:33:28 AM PDT, Alexis Ballier wrote:
3 > >I'm not sure what's best for every one:
4 > >1. Push hundreds of patches upstream to add lfs flags;
5 > >2. Apply your patch to our glibc ebuilds, fix the corner cases, and go
6 > > back to glibc upstream with these data.
7 >
8 > If the changes are made to glibc, would these be under a new symbol version
9 > for ABI compatibility, or just be changes to headers to make
10 > _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 the default? If not, what about binary software? Not
11 > saying you haven’t considered the relevant issues; I just haven’t seen binary
12 > software brought up on this list yet.
13
14 regardless of what the headers export as a default, glibc's ABI would not
15 change. the CPPFLAGS merely control which set of symbols are used. any
16 existing binary packages would continue to operate the same way they always
17 have.
18 -mike