From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: not valid {x}html (was Re: [gentoo-dev] www.gentoo.org and konqueror)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 02:34:43
1 On Monday 12 August 2002 18:13, Daniel Mettler wrote:
2 >
3 > i wanted to point out that, if all the content is available as
4 > valid xml (as i suppose), it's pretty astonishing that the
5 > final html pages were not valid html from the beginning
6 > already. imnsho, using xslt it's almost harder to transform valid
7 > xml pages into invalid {x}html pages than into valid ones ;)
10 > nb. i do not consider konqueror to be a bad browser. it's my
11 > default browser and i like it for its high performance and nice
12 > features. usually it works fine with standard compliant pages,
13 > but konqi/khtml still have some weaknesses/bugs indeed. i am
14 > sure the devs are working hard to fix the bugs and improve
15 > konqi/khtml.
18 If you would take a look at the validation errors you would see that most of
19 them are rather trivial (forgotten to add empty alt tags to some images that
20 are only used for layout). The biggest error I found was the absence of the
21 doctype declaration. The extra attributes on the body tag are for IE, and
22 should not pose any problem for other browsers as they are required to ignore
23 unknown attributes.
24
25 Of course with a very little bit of work the pages could be made compliant,
26 and that is allways better, but the badness is not so bad that conqueror
27 should choke on it.
28
29 Paul
32 Paul de Vrieze