From: Daniel Mettler <mettlerd@×××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: not valid {x}html (was Re: [gentoo-dev] www.gentoo.org and konqueror)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:36:16
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 hi colin,
5
6 On Monday 12 August 2002 11:43, Colin Morey wrote:
7 > They have to be built from valid xml or they won't build, I
8 > assume you mean xsl,
9
10 i wanted to point out that, if all the content is available as
11 valid xml (as i suppose), it's pretty astonishing that the
12 final html pages were not valid html from the beginning
13 already. imnsho, using xslt it's almost harder to transform valid
14 xml pages into invalid {x}html pages than into valid ones ;)
15
16 now it should be a matter of adjusting the respective xslt file
17 to make all the resulting {x}html pages valid according to the
18 w3c specifications.
19
20 > (regardless, it's the end html that being
21 > validated/looked at here).
22
23 yep. nevertheless it's wise to choose a powerful, rather generic
24 language such as xml/xsl as base language (to easily
25 batch-transform content into other formats).
26
27 > I've got the non-validating issue on my to-do list..
28
29 fine :)
30
31 > <rant level="mini" severity="mild">I offer up this, would you
32 > prefer a page that validated 100% or one that actually worked
33 > in most browsers..
34
35 sorry, this is no question, really:
36
37 i) there is no contradiction between the two. in fact w3c
38 standards ensure that pages work with most browsers (or rather:
39 that each browser has equal chances to work nicely with standard
40 compliant pages. it's the same in the end.)
41
42 ii) when writing standard compliant pages you are not obliged to
43 use the latest-and-greatest tag specified in a standard (though
44 you may, if you want).
45
46 iii) if a browser does not parse/render pages well which are
47 compliant to a nice, widely accepted, clearly specified, open
48 standard, it's the browser's problem (i.e. a bug).
49
50 iv) adhering to open and free standards is the alpha and omega in
51 i.t.
52
53 nb. i do not consider konqueror to be a bad browser. it's my
54 default browser and i like it for its high performance and nice
55 features. usually it works fine with standard compliant pages,
56 but konqi/khtml still have some weaknesses/bugs indeed. i am
57 sure the devs are working hard to fix the bugs and improve
58 konqi/khtml.
59
60 regards
61