From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: UPower upstream (git master) and 0.99 release -> No sys-power/pm-utils support anymore
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 13:21:00
1 On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 09:04:23 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The whole point of news is to tell people about an action they need to
5 > take before they have to take it. The output of portage doesn't
6 > really tell you what is going on.
7
8 Note that I'm not against a news item in the short term; what I am
9 suggesting with mix-ins is even a step before that, but that's
10 something only achievable in the long term and of course not now.
11
12 So, yes, please write and send a news item out as soon as possible.
13
14 > The article in GMN doesn't provide clear instructions on what needs to
15 > be done, and refers to 0.99.0 when the issue impacts 0.9.23 as well.
16
17 Besides that, a longer title would help; currently it reads to me like
18 "X update", which means that if I don't care about X or don't know X
19 that I'm very likely to skip it. Mentioning systemd somewhere in there,
20 as well as "transition"; could help with drawing attention to it.
21
22 But given a news item, this GMN entry would become less important;
23 regardless, it can help for those that manage to skip reading the item.
24
25 > This has already hit stable. The dependency on systemd is present in
26 > sys-power/upower-0.9.23-r3, which was just stablized.
27
28 Ehm, no, version 0.9.23-r3 controls that with a systemd USE flag; in
29 comparison, 0.99.0 mainly wants you to run it with systemd:
30
31 26 May 2014; Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
32 upower-0.99.0.ebuild: This release is mainly for use with
33 sys-apps/systemd because upstream removed support for
34 sys-power/pm-utils completely from git master. The 0.9 branch is for
35 sys-power/pm-utils use. Adjust ebuild accordingly.
36
37 Though I'm a bit confused why 0.99.0 doesn't list a systemd dependency;
38 I thought it had one, but maybe it is in another package I'm unaware of.
41 With kind regards,
42
43 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
44 Gentoo Developer
45
46 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
47 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
48 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D