From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reserve mythtv user UID 103
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 17:30:06
1 On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 9:10 AM The Bit Pit <thebitpit@×××××××××.net> wrote:
4 > On 8/24/19 5:11 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
5 > > On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 5:28 PM The Bit Pit <thebitpit@×××××××××.net> wrote:
6 > >> Group is not needed. mythtv uses the video group. This is already in my pull request #12763 to bump to version 30.0 patch. I added myself as proxy maintainer to acct-user/mythtv
7 > > I assume it is in the video group so that it can access device nodes in /dev?
8 > That is correct.
9 >
10 > mythtv also creates and displays many video files shared with other
11 > applications. I thought the "video" group was a way to permit that. Is
12 > there a better way than putting them in the "video" group?
13
14 The video group is primarily used by udev to grant access to graphics
15 hardware. Using the video group to control access to video recording
16 files seems wrong to me.
17
18 If you need a common group to allow access to files shared among
19 several applications, you should probably create a separate group for
20 that.
23 > > It might be a nice idea to give it its own primary group id, This
24 > > ensures that files it creates will not be automatically exposed to any
25 > > other random users that are members of the "video" group. You can add
26 > > it to as many supplementary groups as you need.
27 > >
28 > >> I need you to create a acct-group/uucp as it is not in the tree yet.
29 > > Please note that recent versions of udev/systemd use the "dialout"
30 > > group for serial devices instead of the old "uucp" group. You might
31 > > want to just switch over to that.
34 > I agree and withdraw my request for "uucp" group. It is in out of date
35 > mythtv documentation and the previous ebuild.
36 >
37 > Should I check the use flags for flags enabling support for devices
38 > needing "dialout" group and modify the installed mythtv user rather than
39 > including group "dialout" in the "acct-user/mythtv" package?
40
41 I'm not sure it would be appropriate to modify the group membership of
42 the mythtv user within the media-tv/mythtv ebuild.
43
44 Maybe you could add USE flags to control group membership in the
45 acct-user/mythtv ebuild. You could then depend on these USE flags
46 withing the media-tv/mythtv ebuild as needed.
47
48 Or maybe I'm over-complicating this; opinions welcome.