From: Tom Gall <tgall@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] arm64 update
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 22:09:30
1 Thanks for doing that Yixun,
2
3 I’ll start on your list a little bit later this evening.
4
5 Best,
6 Tom
7
8 > On Mar 1, 2015, at 7:49 PM, Yixun Lan <dlan@g.o> wrote:
9 >
10 > On 14:27 Wed 18 Feb , Tom Gall wrote:
11 >> So first, for those interested in cheap arm64 hardware, the first 96 board is going to start shipping in March for ~$129. The HiKey board is an 8 way 64 bit ARM board with 8 A53 cores. (No A57s bummer!) Only had a gig of memory on the board but it’s not a bad device. I’ve had one for about 2-3 weeks now. I’m basically running off a USB hard disk for the moment and thankfully the kernel continues to improve.
12 >>
13 >> The one downside is you really really need a 1.8v USB -> UART cable. You can get them from digikey and connect it on the board. If working with raw cables makes you squeamish take a breath, you’ll be fine.
14 >>
15 >> Info and links at:
16 >>
17 >> https://www.96boards.org
20 >> Ok so hardware aside here’s the arm64 gentoo plan.
21 >>
22 >> 1) new stage3 put together and get that onto the mirrors for consumption.
23 >> 2) Get the handbook extended to include arm64
24 >> 3) continued package stabilization
25 >>
26 >> Volunteers most welcome.
27 >>
28 > Hi Tom
29 > I'd do step 0) -> keyword ebuilds, and here are the ebuilds [1] which
30 > all tested on my hardware here (also A53)
31 > xfce4, lxde works here; have problem with qt4, no arm64 support,
32 > can leverage patches from debian/ubuntu;
33 >
34 > btw, is there any script to do massive keyword?
35 >
36 > [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dlan/misc/keyarm64.txt
37 >
38 > --