From: Yixun Lan <dlan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] arm64 update
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:50:47
1 On 14:27 Wed 18 Feb , Tom Gall wrote:
2 > So first, for those interested in cheap arm64 hardware, the first 96 board is going to start shipping in March for ~$129. The HiKey board is an 8 way 64 bit ARM board with 8 A53 cores. (No A57s bummer!) Only had a gig of memory on the board but it’s not a bad device. I’ve had one for about 2-3 weeks now. I’m basically running off a USB hard disk for the moment and thankfully the kernel continues to improve.
3 >
4 > The one downside is you really really need a 1.8v USB -> UART cable. You can get them from digikey and connect it on the board. If working with raw cables makes you squeamish take a breath, you’ll be fine.
5 >
6 > Info and links at:
7 >
8 > https://www.96boards.org
11 > Ok so hardware aside here’s the arm64 gentoo plan.
12 >
13 > 1) new stage3 put together and get that onto the mirrors for consumption.
14 > 2) Get the handbook extended to include arm64
15 > 3) continued package stabilization
16 >
17 > Volunteers most welcome.
18 >
19 Hi Tom
20 I'd do step 0) -> keyword ebuilds, and here are the ebuilds [1] which
21 all tested on my hardware here (also A53)
22 xfce4, lxde works here; have problem with qt4, no arm64 support,
23 can leverage patches from debian/ubuntu;
24
25 btw, is there any script to do massive keyword?
26
27 [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dlan/misc/keyarm64.txt
30 Yixun Lan (dlan)
31 Gentoo Linux Developer