From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: New "Accept Github contributions" metadata flag
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 15:58:26
1 On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:48 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 2020-08-18 at 15:36 +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
4 > > Joonas Niilola wrote:
5 > > > some of you may already have seen the new packages.gentoo.org page,
6 > > > https://packages.gentoo.org/
7 > >
8 > > I had not seen that - that's wonderful!
9 > >
10 > > I would just request that /packages/ is removed from the start of
11 > > package URLs. I understand how this makes request routing more
12 > > complicated, but I consider it a significant usability improvement.
15 > > ..anyway:
16 > >
17 > > > I'm suggesting of adding a new metadata flag to our Wiki's
18 > > > User:/Project: page which then prints a message to this page saying
19 > > > whether the maintainer (be it project or user), "accepts" or "deals
20 > > > with" Github contributions. The wording can be a bit better, but it'd be
21 > > > there to **notify** our **contributors** whether their time and effort
22 > > > will most likely be wasted making a pull request for this particular
23 > > > maintainer.
24 > >
25 > > I think this is a very good feature.
26 > >
27 > > If I ever do become a proper Gentoo developer I will certainly not spend
28 > > any time on anything to do with GitHub, and in my current position of
29 > > occasional contributor I don't either. The workflow imposed by GitHub
30 > > isn't good and it's important to demonstrate other methods.
33 > Read: it's important to slap users to satisfy developer's wannabes.
34
35 This sentence makes no sense, but it seems to be saying something rude.
36
37 Would you like to clarify?