From: Simon Reynolds <sproket@××××××××.net>
To: Jeff Griffiths <jeffg@×××××××××××.com>
Cc: "Gentoo-Dev (E-mail)" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:12:19
1 On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 15:38, Jeff Griffiths wrote:
2 > Hi Simon
3 >
4 > sorry if terse translates to upset, that wasn't my intended
5 > tone. try confused? ...and typing at high speed.
6 >
7 My apologies for jumping to conclusions, that wasn't very mature of me.
8 > yes the workaround is effective and my gentoo / Komodo user
9 > is now happy. what i'm really curious about is why gentoo
10 > mozilla does this in the first place - other mozillas tend
11 > not to PERMANENTLY set this var as it has the tendency to
12 > interfere with other mozilla-based applications ( like
13 > Komodo ).
14 I don't know all the reasons, and I am not a developer. But from what I
15 can tell several older ebuilds still in the portage tree that depend on
16 mozilla like nautilus, galeon, evolution etc. use it to find where
17 mozilla is at for things like linking, etc. For the newest versions of
18 those packages, however, it is no longer being used. And up-to-date
19 versions of galeon, evolution and mozilla all seem to work fine without
20 it being set.
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list