From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] multiversion ebuilds
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 14:21:37
1 >>>>> On Sat, 12 May 2018, Gerion Entrup wrote:
2
3 > just an idea for now. But what you think about multiversion ebuilds?
4 > Technically this could be realized with the following line in the
5 > ebuild itself:
6 > ```
7 > VERSIONS=( 3.0.11 3.0.12 3.1 )
8 > ```
9
10 > [...]
11
12 > The advantages of this idea I see are:
13 > - Ebuilds are written in a multiversion manner anyway, and then get
14 > copied (or linked?), so it can be made explicit.
15 > - The diffs between different versions of ebuilds and the commit
16 > history are way more readable.
17
18 That depends on the options you specify for git diff (e.g.,
19 --find-renames, --find-copies, or --find-copies-harder).
20
21 > - The size of the tree reduces.
22
23 I very much doubt that (or at least it remains to be proven).
24
25 Currently, when an ebuild is copied for a version bump, it will reuse
26 the same blob in the Git repository. With the scheme above, you would
27 have to modify the ebuild, which would add a new blob for every
28 version bump.
29
30 Ulrich