From: Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] multiversion ebuilds
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 14:36:21
1 Am Samstag, 12. Mai 2018, 16:21:26 CEST schrieb Ulrich Mueller:
2 > >>>>> On Sat, 12 May 2018, Gerion Entrup wrote:
3 >
4 > > just an idea for now. But what you think about multiversion ebuilds?
5 > > Technically this could be realized with the following line in the
6 > > ebuild itself:
7 > > ```
8 > > VERSIONS=( 3.0.11 3.0.12 3.1 )
9 > > ```
10 >
11 > > [...]
12 >
13 > > The advantages of this idea I see are:
14 > > - Ebuilds are written in a multiversion manner anyway, and then get
15 > > copied (or linked?), so it can be made explicit.
16 > > - The diffs between different versions of ebuilds and the commit
17 > > history are way more readable.
18 >
19 > That depends on the options you specify for git diff (e.g.,
20 > --find-renames, --find-copies, or --find-copies-harder).
21 This does not apply to the online diffs (see e.g. [1]). I assume that most users don't have
22 the git repository checked out.
25 > > - The size of the tree reduces.
26 >
27 > I very much doubt that (or at least it remains to be proven).
28 >
29 > Currently, when an ebuild is copied for a version bump, it will reuse
30 > the same blob in the Git repository. With the scheme above, you would
31 > have to modify the ebuild, which would add a new blob for every
32 > version bump.
33 You are right, I've not thought about that. However, this is only true for
34 the repository not for the rsync copy most(?) users have and not for a checkout.
35
36 Gerion
37
38 [1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=d9397ab8d48feb4b1360be614da35fa2faae44d9