From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:59:00
1 Curtis Napier posted <443C32C2.2070305@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:50:42 -0400:
3
4 > Jan Kundrát wrote:
5 >>
6 >> 17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: actually, it has been mentioned in the recent
7 >> thread on -dev ML that you own the copyright or something of the flying
8 >> saucer on w.g.o
9 >> [...]
10 >> 17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: and there was a questino if you'd agree if we
11 >> continued to use it
12 >> [...]
13 >> 17:38 <@drobbins> jkt|, yeah, I don't care
16 > Not promising a front and center place like he has now but I'll work him
17 > into it somehow or other.
18
19 When you place it, consider linking it to a history or some explanation or
20 something. He's certainly cute and all that, but I've always wondered
21 just what he has to do with Gentoo, having the feeling that there's some
22 symbolism or something that I'm missing.
23
24 My opinion is that without some sort of explanatory link, all he does is
25 reinforce the already too prevalent idea that Gentoo is just for a bunch
26 of spaced out ricers and fringe users that don't have anything better to
27 do with their computers than compile and recompile all day. It's just
28 noise on the page that doesn't seem to apply to anything else on the page,
29 and therefore doesn't look professional. Again, maybe I just missed the
30 symbolism somewhere, but that's my opinion. Put a caption on him, make
31 him link to something, and it'll look better.
32
33 Maybe make him the documentation and help section icon? Or the icon for
34 contact information (Gentoo developer listing, etc)? Something.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
40 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list