From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:38:45
1 On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 19:57 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 03:58:57AM +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 01:17:06PM -0500 or thereabouts, Chris Gianelloni
4 > > wrote:
5 > > > Gentoo is not a distribution of Linux. Gentoo is not anything more than
6 > > > a loosely bound group of developers all doing their own thing in a
7 > > > collaborative and collective manner. You cannot use corporate thinking
8 > > > to manage such a beast. We don't have mission statements. We don't have
9 > > > road maps. We don't have quarterly earnings and market projections. We
10 > > > simply exist.
11 > >
12 > > Which is why Gentoo has jumped the shark and is now on a long, slow
13 > > decline.
14 >
15 > Ok, then what should Gentoo do to fix this percieved decline?
16
17 Pander to the "enterprise" crowd, of course. You know, take away all of
18 the stuff that makes Gentoo what it is and slow down development with
19 more committees, peer review boards, and meetings. We need to all take
20 a step back and make sure that we're all a part of the "big picture" for
21 Gentoo. You know, subscribe to the group think.
22
23 Personally, I *love* the fact that the Hardened team has differing goals
24 from Release Engineering. I also don't see how our goals could ever
25 really be guided by a single vision. That doesn't keep us from working
26 together to each accomplish our individual goals.
27
28 > > > Do you want to be a part of a project that doesn't allow you to
29 > > > implement some cool new feature because it might make Gentoo slightly
30 > > > harder to use for some people and that's against the mission statement
31 > > > so not allowed?
32 > >
33 > > Yes, absolutely.
34 >
35 > We need a mission statement first :)
36
37 Our mission: To seek out new life and civilization, and to bring Gentoo
38 to them, by force, if necessary. *grin*
41 Chris Gianelloni
42 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
43 x86 Architecture Team
44 Games - Developer