From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:20:12
1 On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:40:48 +0200
2 Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > We just had a short discussion over in #gentoo-portage and the
5 > idea of an use.force file for profiles came up. It allows us to
6 > force some USE flags to be turned on for a profile. It's not
7 > possible to disable this flag by make.conf, the environment or
8 > package.use. But we would not be Gentoo, if we don't leave a
9 > backdoor. You can disable the flag by putting -flag in /etc/
10 > portage/profile/use.force if you really need to. Same goes for
11 > sub-profiles that need to disable this flag.
12
13 Why a file rather than a make.default variable? I'm thinking of
14 something like REQUIRED_USE, which would behave just like USE and
15 friends (the so called "incremental" vars in portage). Its
16 contents could simply be added to USE after all other steps of
17 there respective "incrementation" (profiles, make.conf, user
18 env, etc.). And sure there would also be a REQUIRED_USE_EXPAND
19 var, similar in purpose to the existing USE_EXPAND but targeting
20 REQUIRED_USE, where important things like USERLAND or ELIBC could
21 be moved.
22
23 Well, i'm not saying that vars are better than files though, the
24 same can be achieved both ways, so it's just another option to
25 consider.
26
27 (and feel free to replace, in the above, "REQUIRED" by "FORCE",
28 "IMPORTANT", or any other kind of "DO_NOT_TOUCH"-like prefix)
31 TGL.
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list