From: Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:40:21
1 Hi all!
2
3 We just had a short discussion over in #gentoo-portage and the idea of
4 an use.force file for profiles came up. It allows us to force some USE
5 flags to be turned on for a profile. It's not possible to disable this
6 flag by make.conf, the environment or package.use. But we would not be
7 Gentoo, if we don't leave a backdoor. You can disable the flag by
8 putting -flag in /etc/portage/profile/use.force if you really need to.
9 Same goes for sub-profiles that need to disable this flag.
10
11 This use.force support might be used as an replacement for some
12 USE_EXPANDs like ELIBC and KERNEL because they are prone to break if the
13 USE_EXPANDed variable is also set in the environment. Like this:
14
15 sven@luna ~ $ KERNEL="foo" emerge --info | grep ^USE=
16 USE="x86 ... userland_GNU kernel_foo elibc_glibc"
17
18 I gues use.force has some other places where it is useful. Like the
19 default-darwin profiles which use ARCH="ppc" and USE="ppc-macos" but the
20 ppc-macos flag can be removed by using USE="-ppc-macos" in the
21 environment. Or selinux profiles, to force the selinux flag to be turned
22 on.
23
24 Comments?
25