From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Java 9 on Gentoo
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 04:20:47
1 On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 02:40:14 +0000
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 > > > If you have any suggestions as to what I should look at to better
6 > > > understand the OpenJDK build system I would very much appreciate
7 > > > them.
8 > ..
9 > > Build OpenJDK stand alone. Get familiar with that.
10 >
11 > It used to be that one could not build OpenJDK without already having
12 > a working JDK. Has that changed with OpenJDK 9 (IIRC it was planned
13 > for OpenJDK 7 :) or not yet, and that is a reason for having icedtea
14 > in the mix?
15
16 Yes you are correct, nothing has changed there to my knowledge.
17
18 It has to bootstrap itself. No one goes all the way back to the
19 classpath 1.5 days, and boostraps up from pure source.
20 Build 1.5, then 1.6, then 1.7, then 1.8, etc...
21
22 Everyone at this point starts with some version of a working JDK
23 binary. Once icedtea-bins are were, those were used to build icedtea
24 from source.
25
26 If you want say icedtea you will see it pull in icedtea-bin. If you
27 want the latest, it will pull in the version older unless a -bin of the
28 latest exists. Which comes from a working from source ebuild.
29 https://github.com/gentoo/java-overlay/blob/master/dev-java/icedtea/icedtea-3.7.0_pre00.ebuild#L139
30
31 Ideally there is also an openjdk ebuild that would build with either
32 icedtea-bin, or oracle-jdk-bin. Or could always add a open-jdk-bin like
33 the oracle one, and use it to build openjdk ebuild.
34
35 That is very complex. Even the icedtea from source ebuild is non
36 trivial. The only one who does major work there is the Icedtea author.
37 Which Gentoo luckily benefits from directly, but is not the intention.
38 That is their job at RedHat.
39
40 gnu_andrew in #gentoo-java (but please do not just bug him hes busy!)
41 https://www.linkedin.com/in/gnuandrew
42 https://github.com/gentoo/java-overlay/commits?author=gnu-andrew
46 William L. Thomson Jr.