From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Java 9 on Gentoo
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 14:11:37
1 On 2017.11.18 04:16, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 02:40:14 +0000
3 > Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
4 >
5 > > William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
6 > > > > If you have any suggestions as to what I should look at to
7 > better
8 > > > > understand the OpenJDK build system I would very much appreciate
9 > > > > them.
10 > > ..
11 > > > Build OpenJDK stand alone. Get familiar with that.
12 > >
13 > > It used to be that one could not build OpenJDK without already
14 > having
15 > > a working JDK. Has that changed with OpenJDK 9 (IIRC it was planned
16 > > for OpenJDK 7 :) or not yet, and that is a reason for having icedtea
17 > > in the mix?
18 >
19 > Yes you are correct, nothing has changed there to my knowledge.
20 >
21 [snip]
24 > --
25 > William L. Thomson Jr.
28 You can start with gcc-5.4 with the gcj use flag.
29 That will bootstrap icedtea:7
30 icedtea:7 will bootstrap icedtea:8
31 Tested on arm64.
32
33 With icedtea:7 going and gcc-5.4 not having a very long future,
34 building icedtea for a new arch will be painful.
37 Regards,
38
39 Roy Bamford
40 (Neddyseagoon) a member of