From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Java 9 on Gentoo
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 15:23:00
1 On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 14:11:11 +0000
2 Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > You can start with gcc-5.4 with the gcj use flag.
5 > That will bootstrap icedtea:7
6 > icedtea:7 will bootstrap icedtea:8
7 > Tested on arm64.
8 >
9 > With icedtea:7 going and gcc-5.4 not having a very long future,
10 > building icedtea for a new arch will be painful.
11
12 If someone wants icedtea on a new arch then I'll do whatever I can to
13 fudge a build together and create an icedtea-bin from it. It only has
14 to be done once for each arch. This is essentially what binary distros
15 do and given that this is good enough for Red Hat, they haven't spent
16 effort on making icedtea bootstrappable some other way like JamVM.
17
18 I think some choose the gcj route because they think it is purer but
19 this is not really true. There are precompiled binaries involved,
20 whichever route you take.
23 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
24 Gentoo Linux Developer