From: Heiko Wundram <heikowu@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: emerge suggestions
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:01:32
1 Am Donnerstag, 9. September 2004 02:03 schrieb Ned Ludd:
2 > To complex and still wont account for various USE= & FEATURES= flags,
3 > gcc versions and loads on said server that's building XYZ. It's
4 > therefore sorta a waste of all of our time and bandwidth to continue
5 > this thread when we already know we are going to all come to the same
6 > conclusion in the end that said functionality will never be accurate.
7
8 The part about USE flags certainly is true, but still, I guess it wouldn't be
9 all that hard to factor out the amount of bash units each use flag gives to
10 the total amount of bash units for the package (simple, compile package
11 without X, compile with X, subtract first from second, you have the amount
12 that X adds to the package). And, calculating the bash units a program takes
13 to compile only needs to be done once, so I don't think this is all the big
14 hassle that you make out of it.
15
16 What, IMO, makes results rather unpredictable is the problem of using a lowest
17 common denominator machine to create the measurements for bash units, as the
18 main thing that has to be taken into account is not the speed of the
19 processor, but rather the memory usage of the compile, as compilation starts
20 to drop sharply in speed when the compiler has to swap (I've experienced this
21 more than once with PyQt, which takes longer to compile on an Athlon XP 2400+
22 with 256MB of RAM than on an Athlon 1300 with 1024MB of RAM, with otherwise
23 identical systems from the software side of view).
24
25 Anyway, I just wanted to tell the op that there were proposals to calculate
26 the time, I didn't want to start a discussion about the methods... And I
27 basically don't care if portage tells me how long a package takes to merge.
28
29 Heiko.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list