From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Heiko Wundram <heikowu@×××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: emerge suggestions
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:03:34
1 On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 19:46, Heiko Wundram wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 8. September 2004 18:43 schrieb Chris White:
3 > > How are you going to effectively measure the times?
4 >
5 > IIRC, there once was a proposal to do this using bash-units. Each product in
6 > the tree gets assigned a bash unit, which is a floating point number >0 which
7 > measures how long compilation takes relative to compiling some certain
8 > version of bash.
9 >
10 > Now, all that needs to be done is to measure package compilation and merging
11 > time, divide by the number of bash units this package has, and you get an
12 > estimate on the time for a bash unit on this computer. The more packages you
13 > merge, the finer this number will become by simply averaging it out. Of
14 > course, this does not take into account changing the LDFLAGS (which should
15 > make up for the biggest part of different merge times), or CFLAGS (which
16 > might also change timing by varying optimization levels and swap
17 > requirement). But, anyway, these numbers don't change anything about the
18 > underlying unit, which should be to a large extent platform and machine
19 > independent.
20
21 To complex and still wont account for various USE= & FEATURES= flags,
22 gcc versions and loads on said server that's building XYZ. It's
23 therefore sorta a waste of all of our time and bandwidth to continue
24 this thread when we already know we are going to all come to the same
25 conclusion in the end that said functionality will never be accurate.
28 > I don't know when this proposal came up, I read about it on some forum, some
29 > time ago.
30 >
31 > Heiko.
32 >
33 > --
34 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
35 --
36 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
37 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer