From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed USE flag: nodoc[Message Scanned?]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 07:24:45
1 On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 02:05:57AM -0500, in <401A0255.9010600@g.o>, John Davis <zhen@g.o> wrote:
2 > Drake Wyrm wrote:
3 > >Just had an idea for a new USE flag. As a companion to the 'doc' USE flag
4 > >(which installs extra documentation), how about a USE flag which inhibits
5 > >/any/ documentation. This would be highly handy for trimming down a system
6 > >such as a server or router which will never have a warm body sitting in
7 > >front of it after everything is installed and configured. What say ye?
8 > >
9 > Why not put -doc in USE? If the ebuild is specifying docs to install
10 > using the doc USE, doing the above will negate that effect. All that
11 > needs to be done is make more ebuilds conform to it.
12
13 Because nearly every ebuild, even those which USE doc, installs the
14 normal documentation (e.g. manpages, texinfo, </usr/share/doc/${PVR}/*>)
15 even with USE=-doc. USE=doc results in *extra* goodies.
18 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
19 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
20 --Ghost in the Shell