From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Export Package Manager Cached Information. (Was: RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.)
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 17:49:58
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Export Package Manager Cached Information. (Was: RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.) by Patrick Lauer
1 Patrick Lauer:
2 >
3 >>>> That means either say "you cannot expect anything, because there might
4 >>>> or might not be metadata" or say "you can expect metadata for any
5 >>>> provided/installed package" in which case package.provided feature has
6 >>>> to be removed from portage.
7 >>>
8 >>> "Provided" means "not managed by the package manager" and thus returning
9 >>> "empty metadata" for queries is perfectly fine.
10 >>>
11 >>> I don't see why this feature would need to be removed ...
12 >>
13 >> You just rephrased "you cannot expect anything, because there might or
14 >> might not be metadata".
15 >
16 > So you're saying that if I remove metadata it is removed.
17 >
18 > Our tautology circle is true! Thanks for contributing these awesome insights.
21 I'm saying that you didn't make an actual argument why it is better to
22 allow non-existing metadata for installed packages and have every API
23 user handle this exception.
24
25 This will go horribly wrong if we start designing an API around portage
26 hacks, assuming that the VDB might just be broken, inconsistent or
27 "maybe valid". Is this about a portage API or a generic PM API?
28
29 If it's about the former, then I'd rather see eix and friends broken for
30 other PMs instead of spreading portage hacks over them (FYI: paludis has
31 the "provided" case implemented without breaking VDB).