From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Contributed ebuilds and copyright questions
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:44:07
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:31 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Yeah, it seems to be painful no matter what you do (CLA, copyright
4 > assignment, listing copyright holders) just in different ways :)
7 Well, the advantage of assignment is that it does simplify copyright
8 tracking, since you own the copyright on everything.
9
10 The problem is that it potentially cuts out a lot of contributions.
11 There is also the problem of nations that do not allow assignment
12 (though that could also be fixed in theory by just ending the Gentoo
13 German conspiracy).
14
15 I personally tend to favor a mandatory DCO (we absolutely need to know
16 the copyright status of our code), and a voluntary FLA (which I tend
17 to prefer to outright assignment as I think it lines up well with our
18 always-free social contract).
19
20 The issue remains of what to do with the copyright notice. I
21 suggested just having enough names on the line to account for 51% of
22 the code, which as far as I can tell is completely legal. That
23 doesn't preclude just listing all the names (which is ugly, but
24 administratively simple). But, that does help cover us in cases where
25 we have some ebuild where we can only account for 60% of it. It also
26 allows us to borrow anything from any other project that already has
27 its copyrights well-documented.
28
29 FYI, one of the original sparks that drove some of this thinking was
30 the eudev copyright fiasco (which like a lot of systemd-related stuff
31 was blown out of proportion IMO with things being attributed to malice
32 which were simply a lack of thinking things through). This was the
33 first time Gentoo really forked and internalized a major external
34 project, and there was a clash between our previous practices designed
35 for dev-written code and the large import of external code. Under the
36 draft copyright policy we'd have just maintained the previous
37 copyright headers, perhaps just reformatting them to the top of the
38 file per our convention if they weren't already there (which is
39 completely legal). If at some point enough code in a file got
40 rewritten to have majority-FLA authorship we'd have the option to
41 change it to Gentoo and others, though we wouldn't have to.
44 Rich