From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: Gentoo Menu System - Version 2
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:32:36
1 On 12/13/03 02:51:51, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 13:48, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
3 > > Based on the comments of the last thread on -dev about this GLEP I
4 > created a
5 > > new version. Please take a look at
6 > >
7 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0016.html
8 >
9 > The substance of this isn't changed as far as I can tell: the brunt
10 > of
11 > creating all these .desktop files and maybe icons still lies on us.
12 >
13 > I still agree with a point made in the last thread:
14 >
15 > What's so bad about filing this as an upstream request instead? It
16 > significantly reduces our work since we don't have to do it for
17 > hundreds
18 > of packages. Instead, an upstream developer only has to do it once.
21 In one sence you could say: "There is no Gentoo, only Portage!" and you
22 would be right, it is an upstream responsibility. I also belive that
23 this is the only practical way of the Gentoo community.
24
25 On the other hand, if Gentoo Linux is ever going to be a complete OS,
26 the Gentoo community must take responsibility for every last bit of
27 code in it. In this case I belive that metadata should be part of the
28 package not the application.
29
30 /John