From: Damo Brisbane <dhatchett2@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Open Build Service
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 07:47:26
1 My two cents worth,
2
3 I think broader features not necessarily better; to draw an analogy, dotGo
4 2015 - Rob Pike - Simplicity is Complicated
5 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFejpH_tAHM>, ".. a lot of people talk
6 about tooling... but the real reason [that the go language is sucessful] is
7 simplicity..most of the [other languages keep adding] new
8 features..javascript gets classes.. I realised.. that all of these
9 languages are changing into the same language"... and more, but interesting
10 nonetheless.
11
12 I am opinionated, I have come to Gentoo because I rejected what I saw as
13 increased abstraction and concepts being piled onto other distributions,
14 ironically with such features diminishing rather than expanding choices. So
15 what would be more powerful? IMHO patience and more concentration on
16 current build tools in the short term at least, back the current product
17 and skills within this existing platform, for now. Why? because it is a
18 good platform, patchy perhaps in some areas, but too good to throw away and
19 this product is in a perfect position to continue to encouraging community
20 involvement and improvement against the current toolset. Jumping on, or
21 dissapating current work across big changes to build concepts, will harm
22 the product at least in the short term. Long term, let the law of commits
23 decide.
24
25 Kind regards,
29 On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Samuel Bernardo <