From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About libpng-1.4 handling
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 19:53:00
1 On Monday 10 May 2010 20:22:28 Peng Hsin-shun wrote:
2 > Mask it. It's too new to adapt.
3 >
4 > 2010/5/11 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
5 >
6 > > Hello guys,
7 > >
8 > > as I'm sure some of you already experimented, the libpng upgrade didn't
9 > > exactly went smoothly on my chroots. Reason seems to be that libpng
10 > > usage is odd, it provides both libpng14.* and libpng.* files. Some
11 > > packages likes to use versioned libs while some other don't and it seems
12 > > to lead to giant mess in *.la files (for example).
13 > >
14 > > My question are:
15 > > * is there a draft news item as a simple revdep-rebuild or portage
16 > >
17 > > preserved-libs feature doesn't cut it (for good reasons) that I could
18 > > test ?
19 > >
20 > > * what is the recommended way to link to libpng (versioned lib or not)
21 > > * corollary to previous question, should we enforce link to versioned
22 > >
23 > > lib only ?
24 > >
25 > > --
26 > > Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
27 > > Gentoo
28 Masking it is not an option anymore since the majority of ~arch systems are
29 already using libpng-1.4. If you mask it you will create a confusion and you
30 will have to rebuild the same packages again.
34 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
35 Gentoo Linux Developer
36 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org