From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: git security (SHA-1)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:01:56
1 Dnia 2014-09-21, o godz. 09:54:06
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > >>>>> On Sun, 21 Sep 2014, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >
6 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> napisał(a):
7 > >> Ulrich is well-aware of that. His argument is that with cvs there
8 > >> is no security whatsoever in the scm, and so there is more interest
9 > >> in layering security on-top. With git there is more of a tendency
10 > >> to rely on the less-than-robust commit signing system.
11 > >>
12 > >> We could always just keep full manifests in the tree and be no
13 > >> worse off than with cvs.
14 >
15 > > And we would be no better off than with CVS. We'd have huge
16 > > repository with a lot of redundant space-eating data and the
17 > > impossibility of sane merges or rebases.
18 >
19 > Not necessarily. As long as you keep write access to the repository
20 > secure, you don't need anything special there. However, it's a
21 > different story when the tree is distributed via a mirror system that
22 > is not entirely under our control.
23 >
24 > Full manifests could be generated automatically (and signed with an
25 > infra key) when copying the tree from the repository to the master
26 > mirror.
27
28 Do you really consider keeping a key open for machine signing somewhat
29 secure?
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny